Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What it means to be a Brother

I've been very sick recently. It came in waves and often confused me by making me feel well enough to work, only to hit again with renewed awfulness. The Master of my Lodge is a tattoo artist who works nearby. One day, I was walking home at 3PM, trying not to collapse in the snowbank when a car honked at me. It was our Worshipful Master, and I said hello.

He asked if I needed a ride. I said that I was going home sick, and he told me to get in and we drove home. On the way, I found out why he was on the road. His motorcycle had been towed, and he was taking time out of his day to go get it from impound. This is a man whose financial well-being comes from seeing customers. He doesn't want to rush, but at the same time, the more he sees, the more money comes into the shop. Yet, he stopped, picked me up and drove me in the wrong direction for a mile while exposing himself to my illness.

A non-Freemason might think, "oh, that's really nice of him." Here's what a Freemason thinks: "that's exactly how I should be behaving." The difference is subtle but vast. It's what makes a "good man better," and its at the heart of Freemasonry.

Worshipful Brother Norton has proven himself a Mason, and that's exactly how I should be behaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment